Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tuna and Black Bean Soup

To tell you the truth, a soup with canned tuna as an ingredient never interested me at all. To me, canned tuna was a lunch for when I was feeling extremely lazy and uncreative.. is that a word?

Anyways, the family that I am a nanny for had me make this for them one night for dinner, and I couldn't resist but to make it myself. It is one of the tastiest soups I've ever had!

You will need:
1 Fennel bulb chopped small
1 Small onion, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Large can of stewed tomatoes
1 Can black beans, drained/rinsed
1 Can of clam nectar (sounds nasty, but adds to the flavour of the soup!)
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Can tuna, drained
1 Tsp Parsley (dried)
1 Tsp Oregano (dried)
1 Tsp Basil (dried)

First, you want to open all your cans and drain what needs to be drained and rise what needs to be rinsed.. (Or not, I'm just weird like that)

Chop the onions and the fennel bulb so they are roughly the same size, so they cook evenly.

Heat up your pan on medium heat with your 2 Tbsp of olive oil and garlic

Add the onions and the fennel and cook on medium heat until the onions start to become translucent.

 When the onions are translucent, add the clam nectar and the can of tomatoes. (also add your herbs)

When that has come to a boil, add your can of rinsed black beans and the can of tuna.

Mix well and add salt and pepper to season

Turn down to low, cover and let sit for about half an hour to an hour. The longer you leave it, the more tender the veggies will be!



No comments: