Sunday, May 29, 2011

Falafel

While on our honeymoon in France, Jordan and I found a fast food falafel place called "Maoz". They served falafel pitas, and it was the first time I had ever tried them. I immediately fell in love and we ate there about 7 times over the course of our two week vacation. I wanted to find out how to make my own, but I was scared that they wouldn't taste the same. I found this recipe online and they turned out amazing! Easy, simple and fast to make.

Ingredients:
1 Can of chickpeas
1 onion, chopped
2 (or more) cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon of coriander
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 tablespoons of flour
salt and pepper
and oil for frying (I use sunflower oil because it's lighter than the others)

Method:
Blend your chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin and salt and pepper together in a food processor or with a hand blender. Add flour until it reaches the consistency of cookie dough. Roll the mixture into balls about the size of a ping pong ball and fry them in about 2 inches of oil until they are golden brown (about 5 to 7 minutes). Place on paper towel to drain. Serve warm.

You can serve with hummus, tzatziki, or any other sauce/dipping apparatus that you are a fan of.
I personally love this recipe because you can taste your falafel mixture as you go along and you can add other things if you want to as well.

I found this recipe on "about.com"

No comments: